Emotional and Psychological Issues
Is your teen struggling with any or some of the following:
- Sleep issues – insomnia, frequent waking at night, inability to get back to sleep once awake, daytime sleeping and awake at night?
- Behavioural and cognitive issues – extremely high or low energy levels, poor concentration, poor memory, easily excited or distracted, poor self-care or hygiene?
- Emotional issues – moody, isolated, sleeping more than usual, tearful, easily upset, frequent arguments with family and/or friends?
- Trauma and its effects, such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?
- Issues with food and body image – overeating or bingeing, undereating or more serious eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia, extreme exercise, obsession with body weight and shape?
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) – unusual, repetitive and intrusive thoughts that are extremely distressing to the person; performing strange and repetitive rituals to overcome the anxiety caused by the thoughts, such as excessive hand washing, counting, checking etc.?
These emotional, behavioural and psychological issues can be indicative of an underlying mental health issue or more serious disorder. However, they can also exist on their own. These issues in your teen may become worrying if they begin to interfere with their ability to get on with daily tasks and activities. For example, unusual sleep patterns may make it impossible for your teen to attend school as they will be too tired to focus. Or a teen with OCD could take hours to get ready for anything outside the home, making them constantly late for school, or other events and occasions.
How can Alta-1 College help?
At Alta-1 College, we understand how depression can affect the social, emotional and academic areas of a student’s life and we can provide a holistic support system for the young person struggling with depression. Our qualified and experienced Teachers, Education assistants, Counsellors and Psychologists are able to provide academic and therapeutic support to students to enable them to reach the potential they would not otherwise achieve. We also offer online counselling for students who are unable to attend face-to-face sessions.
For information about how our program can assist you click here.